Ever get asked the question "What's your most embarrassing moment?" and your mind goes blank? Well mine doesn't anymore.
Wednesday was just an ordinary day at work, or so I thought. It's 5:00 pm, getting close to closing time, and I'm helping my 20th or so customer of the day. I printed her rental contract and walked back to my desk, but something just didn't feel right on my behind. I very nonchalantly ran my hand across my rear end as I sat down and my hand hit garment. My stomach dropped and my face burned red, however I was still helping my customer. It's customary to, once the contract has been signed, walk the customer to the car, make note of any damage and check the gas level. There was no way I was going to do that with my underwear flashing everyone so I very coolly asked my manager to finish the process and bee lined it to the rest room. I used the mirror to see how much damage was done, and it was bad. This was not just a little hole on the corner of the pocket or a simple seam split. This was a gaping, fabric flapping 4 inch down and 3 inch across tear! I couldn't help but start laughing. Luckily I was in a very good mood that day, otherwise I would have started crying.
So I'm stuck in the bathroom with a gaping hole in my pants and two men in the office, what's a girl to do?
Luckily it was pouring rain that day and I was wearing my coat so I took it off and tied it around my waist. The downside of that is that it is not a coat you would normally tie around you waist, so anyone could clearly tell that I was trying to hide something. When my manager came back inside I motioned him to the little hallway where the bathroom is, out of sight of the customer in the office, and tried to very quietly tell him that I needed to go home because my pants ripped. However, trying to whisper and not to laugh at the same is very difficult. Needless to say, after repeating for the third time my dilemma, I'm sure the customer heard.
Once my manager understood what I was saying I could see on his face the struggle he must have been going through: "It's 5 o'clock and 4 more customers are scheduled to come in, we need to get to the airport, but she's got a hole in her pants...." After a moment the lightbulb turned on. He motioned me into his office and as he pulled something off the shelf said, "Here put these one!" all proud like because he'd solved the problem. He had handed me his one piece, navy blue coveralls, which he wore as part of his halloween costume last year, which were two feet too tall for me! This made me laugh even harder!
"I am not wearing those! I am going home and I'll be back as soon as possible"
I grabbed my purse, left the office without even looking at the customer sitting there, and ran to my car through the rain. Luckily I live 1.7 miles from the office and was home in less than 5 minutes and back to the office in 10.
Now the worst thing about all this is that I have no idea when my pants ripped, how long it had been like that, or who saw it!! And why would no one tell me?? I can understand a male not saying anything, but another woman, come on! Aren't women supposed to help each other out with things like this?
At least I have a good story to tell.
5 years ago
4 comments:
You work in an office -- you could've just stapled it together! That would have lasted until the end of your shift anyway.
Quinn
Carly - That is too funny! It made me laugh... with you! Haha! :)
I'm not sure this actually qualifies as "most embarrassing moment" when you spent the whole time laughing!!Okay, it's better than crying. Love ya, Mom
Man, What a rough day! I am sorry. Thankfully you were able to just laugh it off :)
Post a Comment