Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Look at our Garden Grow!

We decided to try our hands at gardening this summer. We had no idea how to get started or what exactly we needed to do, but our landlords were a big help. They are experienced gardeners and helped us get started and even gave us some seeds. We didn't know what to grow or what would grow best in this area, so we just picked our favorites. We've got pumpkins, tomatoes, watermelon, cantaloupe, squash, zucchini, carrots, peas, lettuce, and spinach. We also planted some marigolds along the rows because someone told us they help keep the bugs away.

Jeff built an amazing watering system too. We never have to worry about forgetting to water the garden. He's got the whole thing on a timer and each emitter is specifically set for how much water each plant needs. It is so cool!


Day 1

Day 30, or roughly there abouts.
This is our first little tomato!! We were so excited! We felt like proud parents when we saw it.

Day 47, I think.

Everything is growing so well! Except the watermelon. We're trying to nurture it back to health so we can hopefully get some good melons. Other than that, everything is flourishing. Our peas shot up so fast. The big fence looking thing is for the peas. They have to have something to grow up. I can proudly say that I built that all by myself :) I even have the scrapes from the sharp edges to prove it. The pumpkins have really taken off and I just found 4-5 little pumpkins starting to grow. We've also got a second tomato.
The spinach and the lettuce are shooting up too!


Here is our first harvest. A couple pea pods and a bowl full of spinach. They were both so good.


I made the most delicious spinach dip with the spinach we picked. It was so gratifying to eat something knowing that I had grown it from a seed!

1 comment:

Anne Van Bibber said...

Oh look at you Carly! The little housewife growing a garden!