Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Mountain Bikes & Clavicles

Last Saturday Jeff and I were celebrating our 2 year anniversary when we hit a little bump in the road, literally.
Jeff convinced me that we should go mountain biking since it was such a nice day. I wasn't really up for it, but I gave in eventually. We went out to a trail that I had done once before with Jeff about two years ago. It's called Bear Claw Poppy trail. We were about an hour, hour and a half into the ride and we had just finished all the uphill portions and were just getting to the fun part when WHAM!! Down I go! I was cruising pretty fast down a moderate to small hill when I hit a bump that I didn't see, went sailing over the handle bars, and landed with a CRUNCH on the ground. I landed primarily on my left shoulder and then slid on my left side about a foot. I was wearing my helmet, thankfully, so no head injuries, but good road rash on my left arm and hip.

I don't really remember flying through the air, I think my eyes were closed, but I sure remember hitting the ground. I immediately started screaming as loud as I could because Jeff was in front of me with his IPOD in and because of the pain. Jeff remembers seeing my bike flying over my head, literally jumping off his bike, throwing it aside, and rushing back to me. He quickly removed my bike, which landed on top of me and gave me a nasty bruise on my left leg. Jeff's freaking out a little bit and starts yelling "Where are you? Where are you?" He had no idea what he was saying, he thought he was asking where I was hurt. I told him it was my shoulder and he starts gingerly touching my right shoulder asking if I can move it. Apparently after I landed I rolled to my right side and that's why he thought it was my right shoulder that was injured.
Jeff got me sitting up and checked out the damage. He made sure I could move my arm and shoulder, making sure it wasn't dislocated. The shoulder itself was fine but the collar bone area was not. I convinced myself that I had just torn a muscle because I was too scared too think otherwise. Jeff, however, assumed that the bone was broken. It swelled up immediately and I wasn't about to let him poke his fingers around on it, so we weren't exactly sure what was wrong.
Now the problem was getting back to the truck. We were at least 2 or miles away and there was no way I was riding back. Jeff thought if he rode back he'd be able to find a road to bring his truck up, but I knew that wasn't going to work and he didn't want to leave me alone. So Jeff whipped out his boy scout wilderness survival skills and tied my arm to my side using my camelpak and off we set, walking back with Jeff towing both bikes.
On the walk back we debated on going to the doctor or not and I was all for it, but Jeff was a little hesitant. Not that he doesn't like them or anything, he just isn't one to rush off to the doctor's office right away. I did prevail however and after getting cleaned up at home we went to the InstaCare.
Dr. Hanna (thought of Daniel and Hannah the whole time) x-rayed it and gave me the bad news that I had broken my clavicle a.k.a. my collar bone. Yikes! I've never broken a bone before and I wanted to keep it that way. This is pretty much what my x-ray looked like:
Mine is even over lapping like that too. There is not much they can do but put my arm in a sling and put it snug against my body. I don't even get a cool cast or anything.
Luckily it was not my right side so I can still do quite a bit (like type this one-handed) but I am learning to do a lot one-handed or letting Jeff do it for me. Jeff now gets to put my shirts on, do up any buttons, and do my hair. He's learning how to use a straightner, make a pony tail, and he's even practicing braiding. I have to rely on Jeff for so much which has been the hardest part, but Jeff is amazing and hasn't said one word of complaint and has only done anything I've asked for. I would be hopeless without him.

The doctor said it should heal in six weeks, but I'm hoping it will be faster than that.

This pretty much put a stop to our celebrating, but we did manage to go out to eat at least.
I'll keep everyone (MOM) updated on my progress as I continue to check back with the doctor.

5 comments:

Clark + Kjerstin said...

Augh! Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about your crazy biking accident! I ride my bike everyday to school, and I'm always worried I'm going to crash and break something. Let me know if you need anything!

Thayne and Jenny said...

Carly! That is not fun at all! I am glad you went to the Doctor, and had an x-ray:). I guess it will be an anniversary to remember, right? Haha! Darn it. Happy anniversary by the way! I can't beleive it's been 2 years! That is awesome! Know we are thinking of you and hope for a speedy recovery... :).
~Jenny

HDVB said...

Oh gosh...can't believe that happened! But am SO glad that hear that Jeff was so boy-scouty and took care of everything and continues to do so! We'll keep you in our prayers!

HDVB said...

Also...love that you had Dr.Hanna take the x-rays..hahah...love it!

THE BIBBER BLOG said...

Thanks for the updates! Love ya, (MOM)